Personal Trainer

Fitness Software for Windows
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:03 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Supplements...
PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2003 9:31 pm 
Copper Onion

Hi i was just hoping to get some opinions on a couple of supplements like creatine monohydrate - does it really add size or is it just an energy drink that helps u lift a little more and are there any side affects??

and what is the best supplement for bulking up and gaining weight?? i've started using Whey Protein butt i'm unsure of how much i need to be taking, i work out daily concentrating on a differant musclegroup each day for about 45 minutes, is there such thing as a calculator which will indicate wot i need to consume to gain x amount of weight??

thanx

Post subject: Creatine
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 5:59 pm 
Copper Onion

hi EliJah! - welcome to silveronion.

I used Creatine a couple of years ago, and did a good bit of research into it. I gained 6 or 7 pounds when I first started using it. I also lost 6 or 7 pounds when I finished! :( I took large helpings and didn't bother with 'maintenance' doses etc. (What was this weight gain?) I closely tracked my routine, and noticed no significant strength changes. Your mileage may vary of course.

I didn't read of any side effect from creatine. there was talk of false positives for kidney damage, I think. This doesn't mean that creatine causes kidney damage, but some by-products of creatine use gave that impression. (Creatitinine - sp? or something). Apparently nothing to worry about.

Creatine is especially good if your diet is lacking in red meat, a rich source of natural creatine.

In summary, by all means give it a go, because it's gone down a good bit in price since it's release. However, I think it's a little overrated. Don't bother with 'creatine transport systems' or those red vials of serum. Just get plain creatine monohydrate. While you're at it, give glutamine a whirl.

Post subject: bulking up
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:06 pm 
Copper Onion

What I've found best for 'bulking' - or rather increasing muscle mass, is Chicken breasts, tuna, skimmed milk and steak. In reasonably large quantities.

I've made the mistake of eating loads. The scales went up, but so did my bodyfat %.

I've tried the protein powders route, but have yet to find any that made the slightest bit of difference. The power of marketing... If they did make a difference, the goverment would categorise them as drugs. They are just food supplements, (Probably expensive milk powder!)

As for calculators, you would first have to find your base metabolic rate (How fast your body spends energy, while at rest), and then it's a simple calculation of calories eaten - calories burned during exercise.

However, your metabolism can change as you start exercising!

Post subject: thanks!
PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:35 pm 
Copper Onion

hey man, thanx for the replies, much appreciated

well i was using creatine monohydrate for about 2 months and tho i didnt see any significant weight gains i was able to lift slightly heavier weights and i had excellant muscle contrast. then i stopped using it because i read on the net about how it can cause liver damage etc.. but my muscle contrast has clearly disimproved as a result so i think im gonna start using it again.

as for the protein, well it has worked for me so far. when i addedwhey protein to my diet about 3 months ago i was a little over 12 stone in weight and i now weigh 13 stone and 2lbs, but i want to gain faster than that. During this time i also experimented with a crash calorie supplement which gave me savage headaches so i stopped usin it.

anyway thanks for your advice man!

Post subject: stone in three months.
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:46 pm 
Copper Onion

A stone in three months is pretty good! - if you haven't gained too much fat. What was the name of the crash supplement?

What kind of workouts have you being doing?

Maybe you could lift heavier weights on creatine because it was in your mind that you could - placebo effect. Still, if it works, it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2003 1:48 pm 
Copper Onion

ya possibly

when i started working out i followed an introductery programme which gave me a really good foundation for that first 5 or 6 weeks, it worked all the makor muscle groups in 2 sets each every 2 days.
as my strength improved i began trying differant workouts, researching magazines etc and buying supplements (protein & creatine mono) to speed up my progress.
with a good bit of 'trial and error' ive decided that i should just work one (2 if i have time) a day which helps me to concentrate a lot of effort on one area at a time and also gives differant groups good recovery time.
i start in the college gym at 8.15 in the morning til 9 before i start classes and then go again in the eveing for an hour to 2 hours depending, and thats monday to friday. i concentrate mostly on the abs then on sundays.
how about u??

and what do u think is the best exercise for chest mass??
personally i thin kflyes are tight cos u can go up in weight quickly with practice and u can really see the toning effects of yur pecs.
ive also started inclined and declined bench pressing to work the upper and lower areas

Post subject: .
PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2003 10:28 pm 
Copper Onion

Quote:
start in the college gym at 8.15 in the morning til 9 before i start classes and then go again in the eveing for an hour to 2 hours depending, and thats monday to friday. i concentrate mostly on the abs then on sundays.
how about u??

Wow! - You manage to work out twice a day? - I remember reading that Arnold used to do that. Then again, he had chemical assistance to help him recover. I tried doing that once before but got too exhasted. If you're still going to college, I'm assuming you're young, and this obviously benefits you - lucky you. Enjoy it while it lasts!

Quote:
and what do u think is the best exercise for chest mass??

Definately, for me, bench press. I find compound exercises to be far superior. Squats, Deadlifts, Bench press, Chins and Rowing. Squats are great. Something like 70% of muscles are in the back and legs, so it makes sense to squat heavy, and often.

I have a love hate relationship with squats.

You also mention toning. What is this exactly? Can muscles be shaped?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2003 8:51 am 
Copper Onion

^ it depends. certainly the chest muscles can i feel. the more chest flyes i seem to do the more my pecs seperate in the centre and regular inclined dumbell presses make the pecs move straight outwards at the top to make them look more in the shape of a V u know?

on a side note: i've really neglected by back muscles in workouts as i'm tall and don't want to hurt an already strained back and ive concentrated so much on arm and chest size and i think its starting to cause problems in my lower back, i mean i rarely do back exercises so wot do u think wud be a good back erercise to start on?

Post subject: Deadlifts and squats.
PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2003 11:26 am 
Copper Onion

Quote:
i mean i rarely do back exercises so wot do u think wud be a good back erercise to start on?

I always find that deadlifts and squats are great for back. I hate doing them though :D

If you've got a bad back, you'd probably want to be extra carefull. Try 'sumo-style' deadlifts as well. (where you grasp the bar between your legs rather than outside your legs, if you see what I mean). If you haven't done them before, get a competant person to show you how.

You'll get to hate them too no doubt...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:52 pm 
Copper Onion

ok thanx
i think i hurt my back by doing an exercise where u take i dumbell in hand and raise it to the side so that your workin your shoulder, ya know?
and and as a side note: i find the best exercise for biceps are is sitting on the bench and taking a dumbell in each hand and counting to 6 as u rasie them to your chin, and 6 again as u lower - 4 sets 10 reps, wots your fave? and i can't believe hw much my triceps have developed by doing dumbell chest flyes and how quickly u can go up in weight

btw did ya know that a number of premier league clubs in england hav banned the use of creatine as they don't know the affects. ive started to take it again regardless as i was talkin to a Lithuanian body builder and he says its imperative for muscle contrast, i hope i can gainan extra few pounds through it too.

Post subject: Creatine
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2003 12:41 pm 
Copper Onion

Quote:
btw did ya know that a number of premier league clubs in england hav banned the use of creatine as they don't know the affects

Wow! - I didn't realise that. I wonder what they mean by that? Generally, if something works, they ban it. (Like steroids or ephedrine) If they do ban creatine from OTC sales, then you know it works :D

Were you doing lateral raises when you hurt your back? Paradoxically, maybe compound exercises are safer than isolation exercises...

I don't do any bicep isolation work. I used to do loads of curls, but for me, they didn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:29 am 
Copper Onion

ever pick up a sports injury??
cos last week my back was killin me from doin a certain exercise (dont have a name for it, its where u take a weight in one hand and raise your arm to the side to work the shoulder) and then i just wake up on friday mornin and my back is fine but ive got an unbelievable pain down my thigh, now every time a move i get this searing pain
the thing is i only ever work my upperbody, wot the fucks up with my leg? :D

Post subject: injury
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 7:01 pm 
Copper Onion

I don't *think* I've ever picked up a sports injury. I've never been doing some exercise or sport, and had a sudden onset of pain.

(I've had pains, like everyone else, which may or may not be sports related)

Sounds to me like you've trapped a nerve or something. Is it still sore?
Was it like cable cross-overs you were doing?

You only work your upper body? - I remember hearing once that when you do legs, growth inducing chemicals are naturally released. This may or may be true!

Hope the injury sorts itself out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 11:01 am 
Copper Onion

cheers ya its gettin better, ive been to physio a couple of times and shes sortin me out.
how effective do ya think press ups are?

Post subject: bench press.
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 6:03 pm 
Copper Onion

Are press-ups the only exercise you can do at the moment now :D?

I think they're great to warm up with. I wouldn't really base a routine around them though because you can't really add weight. I suppose you could change the angle by putting your feet on a chair, or by putting a weight on your back.

If you can do more than about 20, then I'd stick to bench press.

I prefer to keep the reps down and the weight heavy for building mass. Especially for chest and triceps. Stimulate the fast twitch fibres and increase mass.